Women's Mental Health in the Postpartum Period in Kosovo
Mental health refers to the condition of the individual with an emphasis on psychological and emotional well-being, while the postpartum period is the immediate period after childbirth. The purpose of this paper is to address the postpartum period with a focus on mothers, in a rather under-researched field in Kosovo - mothers' mental health. In this paper, a mixed-method research design was used (qualitative and quantitative), and the data were collected using a questionnaire with women/mothers (N = 503) and interviews with mothers (N = 6) where half of them were participants who self-reported psychological distress during the postpartum period. The results highlight the high prevalence of mental health problems in the postpartum period, especially in younger mothers, and the lack of access to mental health services.
J. Hanley, Perinatal Mental Health: A Guide for Health Professionals and Users: A Guide for Professionals and Users Paperback, New Delhi: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
N. Vliegen, S. Casalin and P. Luyten, "Harvard Review of Psychiatry," 2014. [Online]. Available: https://journals.lww.com/hrpjournal/fulltext/2014/01000/The_Course_of_Postpartum_Depression___A_Review_of.1.aspx. [Accessed 2020].
S. Field and S. Honikman, Maternal Mental Health: A Guide for Health and Social Workers paperback, Bettercare, 2015.
"Anxiety Disorders," n.d. [Online]. Available: https://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/anxiety-disorders#. [Accessed 2020].
E. S. Miller, D. Hoxha, K. L. Wisner and G. D. R, "The impact of perinatal depression on the evolution of anxiety and obsessive-compulsive symptoms," June 2015. [Online]. Available: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25355541/. [Accessed 2020].
M. Alvord and R. Halfond, "American Psychological Association," 28 October 2019. [Online]. Available: https://www.apa.org/topics/stress/anxiety-difference.
"Medical News Today," n.d. [Online]. Available: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/154543.
"U.S. Department of Health and Human Services," 1991. [Online]. Available: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK44246/. [Accessed 2020].
R. Kapil, "Four Ways Culture Impacts Mental Health.Cultural Diversity, Mental Health First Aid, Minority Health, News," 11 July 2019. [Online]. Available: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/2019/07/four-ways-culture-impacts-mental-health/. [Accessed 2020].
N. Gopalkrishnan, 19 June 2018. [Online]. Available: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2018.00179/full. [Accessed 2020].
V. Braun and V. Clarke, "Using thematic analysis in psychology," 21 July 2008. [Online]. Available: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1191/1478088706qp063oa.
"Mental Health," 2 Aprril 2015. [Online]. Available: https://medlineplus.gov/mentalhealth.html.
J. Cresswell, "Using mixed methods research," n.d. [Online]. Available: https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/services/researchers/researchers-how-guides/using-mixed-methods-research.
"World Helath Organization," n.d. [Online]. Available: https://www.who.int/teams/mental-health-and-substance-use/gender-and-women-s-mental-health.
A. Felman, "Neuroses and neuroticism: What's the difference?," 9 January 2018. [Online]. Available: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/246608#neuroticism_or_psychosis. [Accessed 2020].
R. Parekh, "American Psychiatric Association," January 2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/depression/what-is-depression. [Accessed 2020].
F. Torres, "What Is Posttraumatic Stress Disorder?," January 2020. [Online]. Available: https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/ptsd/what-is-ptsd. [Accessed 2020].
Copyright (c) 2021 International Scientific Research and Researchers Association (ISRRA)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to reject the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.